So, I'm going over the times tables with Tuckerby (whose bored with second grade math so I taught him how to multiply, but this is a Danner brag), and we were just reviewing all the 1's and 2's. Danner was shouting out the answers before Tuck had the chance. I thought, "wow, what a great memory that boy has, but let's really put him to the test so Tuck can really show off." So we start working on the 3's. I give Tuck 3x1. No problem: "3!" Danner got 3x2, which was again pretty easy since they know their 1s and 2s. So, Tuck then got 3x3 which was a bit trickier but he knows how the whole multiplication thing works so he was pretty quick with the 9, and then I thought I had my kindergartner stumped with 3x4. He sat there looking at his hands. He counted his fingers. I have actually never seen him look at his fingers in quite that manner. One minute passed. Tuck was really starting to get impatient, and told me he knew the answer. I wouldn't let him give it. Of course Danner's Look of Death probably helped keep him quiet as well. Close to the end of the second minute and after some serious finger maneuvering, Danner looked up, face about to burst into a rainbow and declared "12." I was flabbergasted. I had no idea I had taught him how to multiply too. Just to be on the safe side, and to make sure it wasn't a fluke, after Tuck's turn 3x5 (which he got wrong, I think Danner intimidated him a bit) I threw him 3x6. After about 15-20 seconds of consulting his fingers in exactly the same way as before he said 18 didn't wait around to hear if was right or not just said that he was bored with the game and walked away. My chin is still on the floor.
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Yeah, go Danner! Congrats you have a child prodigy on your hands. Be careful, before long you'll have to start refreshing on your high school math just to keep up with him.
Post a Comment